Out of Sight Out of Time Teasers

"Everyone comes here when they're lost."
"The least we can do is take her to her father."

"I killed someone."
"Cammie is no double agent."

"A kind of terror seized me then. I pulled my knees close to my chest. My legs felt skinnier than they should have, my hands rougher than I remembered."

"Stop looking at me like that," I told them when it was finally too much.
"Like how?" Liz asked.
"Like you didn't think you'd ever see me again," I said.
"Cam, we-" Liz started but Bex cut her off.
"You don't get it, do you?" Her voice was more hiss than whisper. "Until forty-eight hours ago, we didn't."
There are fourteen routes a person can take from the library to the suite where I’ve lived since my first day of seventh grade.  I knew which one was fastest, which was busiest, which one had the most awesome views and the route that was most likely to make a girl freeze to death in winter.
But that night I didn’t settle for any of those.  No, that night I went straight for the part of the mansion that no one but the teachers ever used.  The halls were long and narrow and empty, nothing but faculty living quarters and the occasional bookcase to mark the way.
It was easy to feel like I was the only person in the mansion (which was totally what I was going for) right up until the point when I heard a voice say, “Cammie?”
Zach was there.  Zach was there wearing nothing but a towel, but the being there part was far more concerning than the towel part to tell you the truth (the towel part brought up a whole different set of issues.)  Because something in the way he was looking at me told me that I had completely and totally failed in my attempt to hide.
I didn’t know which was more frustrating, his penchant for showing up at utterly embarrassing portions of my life or the looks he gave me when he did-- like he knew more, saw more, understood better than anyone else on earth and right then I kind of hated him for it.
    "Tell me, Zach." I don't know if it was the wind or the adrenaline, but I shivered. "And don't lie to me."
    "I'm not lying!" he snapped, then took a deep breath. "Last summer, I did go looking for you. And when I couldn't find you, I went looking for my mom. And that's not exactly something I'm proud of."
     When I shivered again Zach took off his coat and tried to slip it around my shoulders, but I pushed his arm away.
    "Don't," I said.
    "Listen to me." He grabbed my arms, holding me here. "I couldn't find you. And I'll never forgive myself for that. Ever."
     Another car passed, and a new fear filled Zach's eyes. The sun was coming up. Light crept over the horizon, and I didn't want to think about the people trying to find me-both the good guys and the bad. Zach must have thought it too, because he grabbed my hand.
    "We're getting you out of here." He started to pull, but when we passed the opening of a narrow alley, I had to stop.
    "This way," I said, pointing down he dark pitch.
    "No, Cam, you're turned around. I followed you for six blocks, and I was the one who was conscious. Trust me, the safe house is-"
    "I have to go this way," I said and pulled harder, breaking free.
    I don't know how to describe it. I wasn't in a trance, and I wasn't afraid, but my feet were finding their own path as if pulled by some invisible string.

Read the first chapter here and the second chapter here.
Source: Ally Carter

Comments