Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel

A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them.







----------
First line:
I can smell the bonfire before I even get out of the car.
----------
Source:
ARC via Netgalley
----------
Publication Date:
May 13, 2014
----------
Rating:
3 surfboards out of 5
----------
I applaud Alyssa's attempt to write a creative retelling of the classic Peter Pan. She did a fairly good job. Until the end when I got really confused. Maybe you're the type of person who like books that leaves things unresolved so it's your decision what actually happened. I am not one of those people. I need it put right there in front of me what happened. It needs to be clear cut, not necessarily simple, but not overly complicated either.

Wendy is searching for her brothers. They've been missing for several months and are now presumed dead. Wendy doesn't believe that they're dead so she continues to search for them on her own. She meets Pete on the beach and he takes her in and teaches her how to surf. Eventually things happen and she leaves and ends up at one of Jas's parties. He and Pete used to be best friends but they had a falling out. Wendy knows that he's seen her brothers and he agrees to help.

The thing I didn't like was the stuff that came in at the end. I don't want to spoil it, but it confused the heck out of me. I didn't understand what was happening.

Second Star is an interesting twist on the classic. If you like that kind of thing, you should definately pick it up. Maybe you'll understand it better than me.

Comments